Wednesday 1 May 2013

Affidavit submitted before Misra Commission


     I, Moti Singh, s/o Lal Singh, aged 70 years, resident of B-2/380, Sultan Puri, Delhi-41, presently staying at C-87-C, Tilak Vihar, Delhi, do hereby solemnly affirm and state on oath: -
1.                  On 31.10.84, I and my wife, we both were at home. When I heard that Smt. Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister had been shot dead, I was greatly grieved. Whole night I thought about her assassination.
2.                  On 1st Nov.`84, at about 0830 hrs. Shri Sajjan Kumar –MP came in a white car. He was accompanied by his PA Jai Chand Jamadar and two/three more persons. I can recognize all of them if brought face to face. After putting up “Kanats” a meeting was held, which was attended by a substantial number of Congress workers. Shri Sajjan Kumar also reached that meeting. The park in which the ‘Kanats’ were erected, is right in front of my house. I am a Congress worker for the last 15/20 years  and by reason of this fact, I know all the Congress workers and leaders of my area. I have also been Pradhan of J.J. Colony Wazirpur.
3.                  When ‘Kanats’ were being erected, I asked Shri Brahma Nand Gupta, Tailwala (oil merchant) about the purpose of the meeting. He told me, “it is our meeting, it has nothing to do with you.” About 200 persons had collected there. I climbed and sat on my roof. When Shri Sajjan Kumar, MP arrived at the meeting, then I came to know that the meeting was in connection with the death of Smt. Indira Gandhi and the question of the Sikhs.
4.                  Shri Sajjan Kumar said that whosoever kills the sons of the snakes, he would be rewarded by him (Sh. Sajjan Kumar) – because they have murdered our Prime Minister, Smt. Indira Gandhi. He said that whosoever kills Sardar Roshan Singh and Bhag Singh would be given Rs.5,000/- each by him and those who kill other Sikhs, will be rewarded Rs.1,000/- per head. These rewards can be collected on 3rd Nov.`84 from my P.A. Jai Chand Jamadar.
5.                  After that Nathu Pradhan and Congress worker, Bharti said that they would kill the Sardars. S.H.O. (Bhatti), Hawaldar Jai Chand and some other policemen were also present there. This meeting lasted about one hour.
6.                  After the meeting, at about 3 PM we went to our son’s residence at A-4, Sultanpuri. After this the mob started to gather. The mob surrounded our houses. At that time SHO Bhatti was also present there. SHO Bhatti said, “All Sikhs go to your houses, your lives are in danger.” For this we went to our houses. My son Roshan Singh aged 40 years, grandson Jarnail Singh, aged 18 years and another grandson Surinder Singh aged 10 years – we all climbed on to the roofs. When the mob started to brick-bat our house and also tried to set it on fire, then my son and grandsons tried to stop the mob from doing that. The mob sometimes went away and sometimes came back. The whole night of 1st Nov.1984, there was shouting in the streets around our house and the mob went on setting the houses of Sikhs on fire, looting and killing them.
7.                  On the morning of 2nd Nov.1984 at about 6.00 am, the crowd went to some other side. Then my son Roshan Singh – on seeing the street empty – thought of running away to save his life and I opened the door. He had hardly gone two steps when SHO Bhatti fired at him with his revolver and said, “Mere hote hooye koi Sikh bach ke nahi ja sakta.” (No Sikh can go from here alive whilst I am here). The policemen including SHO Bhatti and Hawaldar Jai Chand were standing behind the oil drums which were lying on the road.
8.                  When my grandson Jarnail Singh saw that SHO Bhatti had shot his father, he went out to save him (his father). Then Jai Chand  shot him (Jarnail Singh) with his revolver and my grandson died there. After that my second grandson went out. He was also wounded by a shot by Jai Chand. I saw all this from the door of my house.
9.                  After about 15 minutes, Brahmanand Gupta, oil depot owner brought kerosene oil in a bucket. He was accompanied by his three brothers and I can recognize them if brought face to face. They, then collected the dead bodies of my sons and the grandson and after putting oil on them, set them ablaze.
10.             After this, Shri Udhal killed by gunfire the father-in-law of my son Roshan, S. Virsha Singh, his wife Lalli and his son Pappu. The time was about 7 – 8 O’clock. After that, after looting the house of my son Roshan Singh, they set the house on fire. Amongst the looters were Gupta, Telwala, his brother Hari Om Gupta, Gunpat Gupta, Jai Bhagwan Gupta, Ramesh Singh Jamadar, Nathu Jamadar and other persons of the Pradhan. One Jamadar named Bhangri pulled me out of the burning house and reached me to the Thana – Police Station.
11.             At about 3 pm on 2nd November, 1984, we went to the camp just opposite the police station and on 3rd Nov.`84, the military took us to the relief camp. All this episode was also witnessed by my dauther-in-law, Prem Kaur, widow of late Roshan Singh, aged 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment